Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hayden and Mommy

Wow, so hard to believe that Hayden is almost 2 months old already! It's a little late, but he had a great 2-week checkup (on 12/8). He was 21 5/8" long (75%) and 9 lbs 8 oz (75%) -- only two ounces shy of birth weight! The doctor was very pleased and didn't need to do the jaundice check.

Hayden adjusted quite well to life outside the womb. He was immediately sleeping 4-5 hour stretches at night and has been breastfeeding wonderfully (although he recently started what I call "fussy nursing", so let's hope we can get that figured out soon). He has now started sleeping anywhere from 5-7.5 hours at night, then waking to eat and sleeping for another 2-3 hours. Just this week I've noticed more of a pattern, with him sleeping a large chunk of the morning and then again late afternoon. Let's hope it continues! He's also started having more breaks in between his nursing. He used to nurse every 30-45 minutes after taking a long nap -- and would nurse a good 4-6 times before sleeping again. Let me tell you... that was not easy on me! I still nurse him on demand, but am going to start getting him on a schedule very soon (and he seems to be helping me!). I'm also working on getting him to go to sleep a little sooner at night (it's currently around 12:30am), and going to sleep on his own more. He has done it a few times, I just want to make it that way permanently!

Hayden has been such a blessing and wonderful addition to our family. He is such a happy little guy, and is already talking, cooing, laughing, and grinning like crazy! The adjustment to three kids hasn't been as tough as I imagined, but that's not to say it isn't hard. Just getting out the door -- or rather getting READY to leave the house -- is the hardest thing. Now that Hayden isn't so newborn, it is easier for me to get things done. One of the toughest things for me is not having everything picked up or having to put things off for a bit. But, I'll take spending time with my new little guy. :)

As for me, I had my six-week postpartum check two weeks ago. Everything is back to normal and I was cleared by the doctor for all activity. He told me I had this having-baby-thing down! :) Now I just need to start back into my yoga and running. I also need to start better watching what I eat. With nursing I get SOOO hungry that it's hard to eat great every single time. We do eat mostly at home (I'm starting to stock up on freezer meals and am meal-planning better) and the kids and I try to snack healthy most the time. But it's tough when 2-3 hours after eating dinner I'm ready for another whole meal! I only gained 25 pounds this pregnancy, and have another 8 to lose for pre-prego weight. Of course, I was in the process of losing weight when I got pregnant, so there's really much more to go! At least I'm wearing a smaller size jeans now than I was last year! Great motivation to keep losing. :)

Hopefully I can keep updating about Hayden. It's not often I get to sit, think, and write! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Glad to hear that baby and Mommy are both well :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a cutie!!!! Love to hear the updates, and send good thought syour way!!

Christan said...

I love this picture - he looks so alert and happy!

Unknown said...

Hi Nikki, I am having a terrible time losing the weight while nursing. I have to weigh myself everyday cause I have caught the scale going up. I am starving all the time. I love your blog by the way!!